Friday, December 10, 2021

Materialism, Open Individualism, and Eliminativism

I recently came across a weird argument for open individualism, i.e. the view that there is only one subject of experience. It goes basically like this: suppose my DNA were to be altered bit-by-bit, in such a way as to increase my fondness for Greek yogurt, or change the color of my eyes. Surely I would not think of this as my ceasing to exist; rather, it would simply be me who now had a greater fondness for Greek yogurt, or differently colored eyes. But if I do not expect that I would cease to exist in light of these minor changes, on what basis can I say that I would cease to exist given larger ones? Indeed, it seems that we can construct a Ship of Theseus dilemma for personal identity, where it is impossible to draw a principled line designating when exactly "I" would cease to exist. 

Now, suppose we infer from this that I would continue to exist no matter what changes occurred to my physical makeup. Even if my body were to be altered bit-by-bit until it was identical (right down to the brain chemistry) with that of Joe Biden, "I" would still be fully present. This fact must surely sever the link between my personal identity on the one hand, and any particular body and brain on the other. After all, if I would still be fully present in the experience of a future version of myself who had been rendered identical to Joe Biden, then on what basis can I say that I am not fully present in the experiences of Joe Biden right now? It seems, therefore, that I am already fully-present in the experiences of all conscious beings, and that therefore, there is only one subject of experience. This argument (or a very similar one) has also been made in print by Arnold Zuboff (1990).

It seems that there are only two ways to avoid the open individualist conclusion: (1) Deny that "I" would still be fully present in the Biden-shaped version of myself, or 2) Accept a further-fact view of personal identity, on which "I" am distinct from any particular facts about my biology and/or psychology. The first option would require us to draw some kind of principled line, i.e. a specific point in the DNA-swapping process at which "I" would cease to exist. However, this threatens to be tremendously arbitrary; is it really possible to find a point at which exactly one DNA base pair is what distinguishes whether or not "I" exist? What if the DNA were to be changed, and then changed back afterwards? Would "I" suddenly pop back into existence?

A less arbitrary route to (1) is to deny that "I" would be present in my Biden-form, because "I" am not present now. That is to say, we can read the above as an argument for eliminativism. I think eliminativism, as unintuitive as it is, is certainly more intuitive than the idea that there is only one self. I would find it easier to accept that the self is an illusion, rather than accept than Joe Biden and I are actually one self experiencing itself from two different perspectives in time and space. This seems to me to be incoherent; after all, what is the word "self," if not the thing that is supposed to distinguish me from others? It seems like a massive contortion of language to insist that two organisms, with no obvious way of accessing each other's experiences, can actually be one "self."

The other way out of the problem is (2). That is, we can accept a further fact view, on which there is something about me that does not change (and so would be unaffected by the DNA-swapping process) and maintains my identity through time. The obvious candidate here is an immaterial soul. The upshot, then, is this: either "I" have an immaterial soul, or "I" do not exist. I should note that similar arguments have been made by others in the past; for instance, Perry Hendricks (2016) has argued that substance dualism and eliminativism are our only real options. In light of the above, I think I am inclined to agree.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sexual Morality and Collectively Harmful Practices

Jason Brennan famously argues that the politically uninformed have a moral obligation not to vote. One of his arguments for this claim goes ...